Thursday, September 30, 2010

Ending the celebrations at Sage


It was hard to find a date everyone in the family could make it for my birthday dinner, but we finally found it before September officially ended.

Based on a recommendation from an ex-colleague who usually celebrates her extra-special occasions at Sage, and many good reviews online, I decided to have dinner there.

Since there were 7 of us, we could try almost every main course on the menu. We opted for 1 set dinner since dad wanted the lamb and ordered ala carte for the rest.

For appetisers:
Foie gras
Mushroom soup
Caesar salad that came with the set dinner

Reviews all seem to rave about the foie gras at Sage so we had 2 portions of it. I may be prejudiced, but I prefer the foie gras at Osia.

The mushroom soup was really really good although the eggy thing that came with it was a little strange.

The caesar salad with smoked salmon, walnuts and apples was really refreshing. I enjoyed that!

For main course:
cod
duck confit
black angus beef (portion for 2)
lamb shank
aglio olio (Edmund requested for mushrooms and smoked salmon instead of their usual seafood aglio olio)

While the food was good, it wasn't fantastic enough for me to want to eat there again.

For dessert:
Peanut butter panna cotta with raspberry sherbert (came with the set dinner)
Lavender bread and butter pudding with coconut sherbert (birthday complimentary)


I really enjoyed the panna cotta and bread and butter pudding by itself but I didn't see how the taste of the 2 sherberts complimented each dessert at all!

In my opinion, I'd rather eat at Osia.

(Btw, the best bread and butter pudding with coconut ice cream I've had is at Margarita's at Faber Avenue. Unfortunately, they don't serve the bread and butter pudding anymore. You can still try the coconut ice cream with their other desserts though!)

No comments: