Monday, May 4, 2009

Medical Report

After more than 3 months of dilly-dallying, we finally went to collect our medical reports from Dr Leong last night. We registered our names at the clinic at about 7pm but only got to see doc at 9.45pm. *fainted*

Even with many patients waiting for him, doc still takes his own sweet time explaining stuff! It’s great when you’re inside his room hearing his detailed explanations. It’s horrid when you’re outside waiting to see him! All my favourite doctors are like that!

Edmund has been bugging me to get my cholesterol checked for the longest time. As expected, my bad cholesterol level is a little bit above (+5) the acceptable range. I was pleased to hear doc say this is no cause for concern. Too bad Edmund thinks otherwise.

The couple medical checkup is good for those who want to know how their current health might affect your kids in the future. 2 areas of concern arose from our medical reports.

1. Allergies – asthma, eczema & sinusitis

I suffer from all 3 of the above while Edmund has eczema & sinusitis in severe degrees! The medical report showed that our eosinophil readings are high with Edmund’s over the normal range. In the natural scheme of things, our future babe will really ‘kena’ from our bad genes. Doc’s recommended solution? Breast-feed for at least 2 years. (plus prayer to break all unhealthy traits from passing down!)

eosinophils are white blood cells that are one of the immune system components responsible for combating infection and parasites in vertebrates. Along with mast cells, they also control mechanisms associated with allergy and asthma

2. Thalassemia - an inherited form of anaemia caused by a deficiency/faulty synthesis of haemoglobin (the blood protein that transports oxygen to the tissues)

I was hoping the test would confirm whether I have thalassemia minor or not. However, doc said this wasn’t the actual thalassemia test. Edmund definitely doesn’t have thalassemia so there’s no danger of our future kids being born with thalassemia major (this requires regularly blood transfusions for life!)

My haemoglobin readings are very very low. This is the reason I’m perpetually sleepy and always yawning. At first I thought it was thalassemia minor since some of my dad’s siblings have it, but it seems my readings are worse than most people with thalassmia minor.


Doc has put me on abimin pills for 3 months. He said that I need to get my iron levels up otherwise it wouldn’t do me nor the baby good when and should I get pregnant in the future. Currently, I don’t even have enough for myself, so the babe won’t have enough (baby would be very small and under-developed cos of the insufficient oxygen).

I know this sounds crazy, but I’m pleased that I now have a valid medical explanation to why I’m sleepy all the time.

2 comments:

a portion of me said...

We did the exact same test and Yeow and I have your problem no. 1! =)

Dr Leong really very good. We are still emailing him and asking him what to take when our nose is giving us problem! But till now, Aussie weather is fantastic and we are getting on really good!

Michelle-Lea said...

Hey gal...I have thalassemia minor..my haemoglobin levels are low too. But at least now I know why I'm so pale and why I get tired so easily. I started taking Iron pills with Vit B. And its been working out pretty well for me. :)